Monday 11 June 2012

Getting Started



On Friday 1 June I began my second sabbatical in 32 years of ordained ministry. 


The first was in 1996 (work it out - that's perfectly even spacing!) when I was Vicar of South Cave and Ellerker with Broomfleet in York Diocese. Then I ventured far afield, to the Diocese of Tirunelveli in South India for a month, and also carried out a study project on Leadership for the Emerging Church. 


This time, it's a 'Manchester Sabbatical'. The Diocesan Website spells out the purpose:


'The sabbatical is understood to be a time for space and reflection, refreshing and equipping for the future. It is a chance to step back from the immediacy of parish life and to look again at our ministry and work and rhythm of life. It is a chance to let God speak to us more deeply and afresh.'


So, what's planned? Well, this isn't strictly a full three-month sabbatical because a fair chunk of my annual holiday allowance will come within the three-month period rather than outside it, but I'm putting together a mixed bag of activities that will last until the end of August.




Charles Simeon
Reading - I've a pile of books to read but I particularly want to study the life and ministry of Charles Simeon (right) the great evangelical Anglican leader of the 18th and 19th centuries. Later in the year I am to become Chair of Simeon's Trustees, the Patronage Trust which he founded. It feels a great privilege and responsibility to take on this role and the least I should do is to get to know him better.


Studying - I'm booked onto a 'Top Up Your Theology' Course at St John's, Nottingham (my alma mater) for a week in July.


Visiting - I'm in the process of setting up meetings with a number of Archdeacon colleagues in other urban dioceses, to learn more about how their dioceses are facilitating and resourcing innovative mission projects. Hopefully, I'll see some of those in action as well.




'Chillaxing' - Definitely part of the sabbatical plans! For me that starts with watching cricket. I've planned in a couple of 'road trips' to watch 4-day Yorkshire matches away from home and I've tickets for three days of international cricket as well. But I time my sabbaticals carefully. In 1996 the European Football Championships were held in England and I was able to attend a couple of games at Elland Road, Leeds. This year, the Olympics top that, and I have tickets for a couple of events in London at the start of August (OK - nothing to get most people on the edge of their seats - Hockey and Volleyball) and two football matches at Old Trafford. 



Travel - Kathryn and I head for Rome, for the first time ever, in mid-June and then, in August a great North American adventure begins. Our younger son, Tim, married Susan Goehring in Carlisle, Massachusetts, in August last year. It was a wonderful occasion for everyone who was there, but there were only 12 of us! Twelve months on they will take part in a Service of Thanksgiving for their marriage and  have the reception they missed out on last year, in Woodstock, Vermont. After family and friends assemble in Vermont for the celebrations we all go our different ways and Kathryn and I will be heading to New Hampshire, then to Maine, and finally on a cruise from Boston to Montreal.


Finally - a sabbatical is also a time for learning new skills. Some with my camera, I hope, but also on the computer. Yes, I'm learning to 'blog'! This is my first attempt. I hope my efforts will keep some of you entertained in idle moments. I'll try to keep you updated on my progress from time to time, and share any more profound thoughts and experiences as I go along......


Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Philippians  4:8