Sunday 8 July 2012

A Rumour of Angels

My return to academia continued with a day led by the former Principal of St John's, Canon Dr Christina Baxter. Christina arrived on the staff of St John's in 1979 when I was a student, and became Principal in 1997. She has been one of the most senior and influential lay people in the Church of England, and served as the Chair of the House of Laity of the General Synod for fifteen years until 2010. She was awarded the CBE in 2005. She began a well-deserved, but very active, retirement in March this year. Our paths have crossed many times during my ministry, especially when I was a member of General Synod, and it has been a privilege to know her and learn from her. 


So I was looking forward to her sessions on the ministry of women, and I was not disappointed. She led us with characteristic clarity and depth through the Biblical and theological issues, and discussed with us the current debate in the Church of England about the consecration of women bishops. I have never had reservations about any aspect of the ordination of women, and remember seconding a motion (proposed by an American woman priest) in a college debate on the subject when I was at St John's. But to be taken through the issues from first principles once again was extremely valuable at this critical point in the life of the Church. Many of the discussions have moved on considerably since I last gave them serious attention, especially the interpretation of the Biblical texts and the study of early Christian church life and theology. Not everyone in the group had the same views but my convictions were further strengthened. 


A couple of days later it was announced that a contemporary of mine at university and at St John's, Vivienne Faull, the Dean of Leicester, had been appointed Dean of York. I couldn't have been more delighted. It has been a privilege to know, and to work with, so many outstanding women clergy during the course of my ministry, and I look forward to the consecration of the first woman bishop - I hope, before I retire!


Christina's successor as Principal of St John's is the Revd Dr David Hilborn. I'd not met him before, so it was good to do so and to benefit from his expertise in another completely different area of theology: the evolution of the Charismatic Movement and the styles of worship associated with it. This was a fascinating, and somewhat unnerving experience. I was being taught about history I had, to all intents and purposes, been part of. I was greatly influenced by the Charismatic Movement as a student at St Aldate's, Oxford, as an ordinand at Nottingham and in my subsequent ministry. I have personal recollections of nearly all the key figures in this country who played a part in leading the movement to a place of acceptance and even respect in the mainstream churches of this country. I attended 'Spring Harvest' and John Wimber conferences in the 1980s, engaged in the debates about the 'Toronto Blessing' in the 1990s and have been thankful to God from the beginning until now that the Charismatic Movement has been part of my spiritual lifeblood. But what was fresh and new when I was at St John's was now being taught in the self-same place - as Church History! Shortly after leaving St John's I wrote the very first course module about the Holy Spirit for their Extension Studies Department. Much of that was concerned with theological controversies (especially about 'baptism in the Holy Spirit') that were overtaken within a very short time as the Charismatic Movement matured and evolved, and found its, place in the Church of England and other denominations. At one level it made me feel old, but at another I am thankful to God that my personal story has been so closely interwoven with what he has been doing in his Church for the last few decades.


If I had told you that I was going to be taught about the 'Spirituality of Angels' by Dr Andrew Angel, you would probably have thought I was making it up. But I kid you not. Andy Angel is Director of Extension Studies and Lecturer in New Testament at the College. He has recently written a book called, 'Angels: Ancient Whispers of Another World'. 


I have to admit that this was the subject that 'grabbed' me least of the five when I had looked at the programme. It felt, well, rather esoteric, and hardly relevant to the life and ministry of an archdeacon!


But the beauty of studying theology, and of being taught it well, is that it is full of surprises. I really enjoyed the day, not only because of Andy's excellent and enthusiastic teaching, but because the topic proved to be really helpful. Study of ancient Jewish and Christian texts on spiritual beings helps us to understand the Bible much better and all kinds of unexpected new insights emerged for me. There was a very valuable consideration of the 'principalities and powers' that are so often mentioned in the New Testament, and, of course, it is intriguing to assess the popular interest in angels in contemporary songs, books, TV and films (try 'Googling'!), and how the Church responds to contemporary and 'new age' spiritualities. In fact, attracted by the generous e-book price, this was the first book I purchased to read after the course.




So, "Thank-You, St John's" for a terrific week that re-kindled in me the desire to read and learn and, through that, to grow closer to God, that I had felt so strongly when I studied there all those years ago - exactly what a sabbatical is meant to do! There was also a helpful pattern of worship to support all the learning that went on. I would thoroughly recommend the 'Top Up Your Theology' Week in future years to clergy and laity with some knowledge of theology who would like to explore some new directions. I had been quite unsure of the decision to book in to the course and somewhat nervous about how I would feel, but I need not have worried. I enjoyed getting to know other course members, and I'm not going to have enough time in the sabbatical to read all the books I want to read now!


But it wasn't all brain exertion. Nottingham not only boasts an excellent theological college, but also one of my favourite cricket grounds, Trent Bridge. It just so happened that Yorkshire were playing Nottinghamshire there in the 20/20 competition on the Thursday evening of the course. I was able to slip out, in a very narrow window of dry weather, and watch the match. 20/20 cricket doesn't push too many of my buttons, but any cricket this summer is better than none, and a Yorkshire win, which they achieved quite comfortably, certainly does push them!


‘Very truly, I tell you,* you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.’
John 1:51

No comments:

Post a Comment