Tuesday 10 July 2012

Simeon's blog

I've been pressing on with Simeon's memoirs and correspondence. In fact, the mental stimulus of the week in Nottingham has accelerated my progress through the 862 pages. Today I reached the point in 1807 when Simeon had an enforced sabbatical. He experienced a chronic loss of voice, no doubt through over-exertion in preaching, and withdrew almost entirely from public ministry for about two years. I was delighted to discover that he kept a blog - well, a diary - during this time. He wrote,

'That I may second the intentions of his providence, I purpose, during this interval of relaxation, to keep
A DIARY

that I may the more carefully observe what benefit accrues to me from this affliction. And I am not without hope, that this purpose of mine is, as proceeding from my God, a token for good; and that it will be attended with many salutary efforts to my soul. May God enable me to state my feelings with sincerity, and keep me from yielding to vanity and hypocrisy, which find much scope for exercise in records like these.'

I love the last sentence and will do my best to note it!


Anyway, I returned from Nottingham to Ripon, where Kathryn was already in residence for the weekend. The next phase of the sabbatical is going to be rather busy, perhaps too busy. But it began, praise be, with cricket.

I'd bought a ticket for the One-Day International between England and Australia at Durham. The weather forecast looked bleak all week and I was fully expecting yet another washout, even as I drove northwards on Saturday morning, listening to the reports of frustrated spectators at Silverstone for the Grand Prix being turned away from flooded car parks. But the Durham groundstaff did an outstanding job, somehow the rain held off, and we not only started on time, but had a full day.

That was the good news, but these days England can beat Australia so easily that it was a pretty one-sided match and not particularly exciting. But it was cricket, and it was an England victory over the Aussies. Thanksgiving all round.

On Sunday morning I kept up the pattern of worshipping in a different church every Sunday by visiting Ripon Cathedral. As I walked in I recognised the back view of two good friends, Terry and Liz Munro. Terry and Liz retired to Beverley some years ago and have served Beverley Minster faithfully and loyally ever since. Terry was a tremendous support to me at the Minster and I hold them in the greatest respect and affection. It was a delightful surprise to see them again. Terry was ordained 50 years (and three weeks) ago in Ripon and had taken the opportunity to make a return visit.

And there was another Beverley reunion in the afternoon. We had arranged a visit from Richard and Rachael Carew and their three young children. Richard was curate at Beverley from 2005 until I left, and beyond, and was another rock. We kept half an eye on Andy Murray's gallant effort against the incomparable Federer while the children played in the garden and around the house. A brief excursion to a local playground ended in tears. I had forgotten how often small children fall over. But Richard and Rachael will be returning to the cottage next week, on their own, to celebrate their wedding anniversary.


Yesterday I began a programme of visiting Archdeacon colleagues in various dioceses over the next two or three weeks. The aim of this is to learn more about how other dioceses facilitate, support and resource innovative forms of mission.

I started in Bradford Diocese, with Kathryn and I travelling across in convoy and calling in at Salts Mill for a look at the David Hockney works and lunch. As Kathryn headed home to Bury, I met with the Archdeacon of Bradford, David Lee, and Andy Milne, leader of 'Sorted', a Fresh Expression and a Church Army Centre of Mission in the city. 

I won't be blogging about all the conversations I have, and what I learn, over the next few weeks, but suffice to say that this was an excellent start, and it was tremendous to learn about the work being done with unchurched young people through 'Sorted'. Here is a video that tells some of the story.

I was grateful to David for a passing comment about sabbaticals. 'A sabbatical is about the imagination', he said. That's right, I'm sure. The last few weeks have been an opportunity for my imagination to be restored and renewed. That's a rich blessing, especially for when the time comes to re-enter Manchester Diocese.

Meanwhile, tomorrow, I'm off to Sheffield, and to Liverpool on Thursday. The pace is hotting up.

I become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some.
1 Corinthians 9:22




No comments:

Post a Comment